Saturday, June 5, 2010

"Determined Dana" & the Doors of Duke



This blog is out of order. I'm trying to play catch up. We went to Duke University over spring break for a campus visit. Dan and I took some pictures while Dana was touring the biology department.

Dana has had Duke in her sights since 7th grade. She wants to major in some facet of biology. We set aside the time to visit and she emailed the professors to see if she could meet with the head of the department and to sit in on one of the classes. The class she sat in on was "molecular cell and neurobiology". I asked her how it went, she had a glazed look in her eye and said, "I thought I would understand SOMETHING!" She said it was way over her head. I laughed and said, "It was a junior level class. You couldn't possibly understand what was going on!" She met with the head of the biology dept. for about an hour. He talked to her about career options with a biology degree from Duke.

As a result, she is more determined than ever to get in. She finished her sophmore year with a 4.0+ grade point average, highest achieving student in Honor's Geometry (she finished the class with perfect 100% in both 3rd and 4th quarters), NHS inductee, Beta club member, cross country runner, nominee for 25 points of light, and has been made editor of the newspaper in her upcoming Junior year. To apply to Duke, you have to have at least a 30 on the ACT. Go for it, Dana! We're behind you all the way!

1 comment:

Jodee said...

What a very bright daughter you have! All comes natural too....that sure is something to be very proud of! Way to go..I have a feeling she will be above 30 on that little test!